25 May National Mint Julep Day Recipes
If you missed out on the Derby tradition, here’s your second chance to toast the classic American cocktail. As the weather continues to warm up, it seems fitting to cool off this weekend with a fresh bourbon cocktail. Celebrate National Mint Julep Day with these refreshing Mint Julep recipes.
Sip on a luxury piece of bourbon in the comfort of your own home.
4 leaves of mint
2 sugar cubes
2 ½oz Jeptha Creed Bourbon
One full mint sprig to garnish
- Combine sugar and mint in a glass with a tiny splash of bourbon
- Muddle to release the oils in the mint and dissolve the sugar
- Pour the remainder of the bourbon into the glass
- Fill the glass with crushed ice
- Garnish with the sprig of mint
Sweet muddled mint and bold Bulleit Bourbon makes the perfect summer refresher.
1.3 oz Bulleit Bourbon
1.5 tsp sugar
Fresh mint leaves
- Muddle mint leaves, sugar, and splash of water in a rocks glass or julep cup
- Add Bulleit Bourbon, water, and fill glass with crushed ice and stir
- Garnish with fresh mint
Shake up the classic cocktail with ginger liqueur and an herbal aperitif.
1¾ ounces Bulleit Bourbon
½ ounce ginger liqueur
½ ounce Salers Aperitif
5 mint leaves
- Combine the bourbon, ginger liqueur and aperitif in a mixing glass over ice.
- Lightly smash 4 of the mint leaves and place them in the mixing glass.
- Using a bar spoon (or other long-stemmed spoon), vigorously mix for about 10 seconds.
- Double strain the cocktail into a rocks glass filled with a large ice cube.
- Lightly smash the remaining piece of mint and place it on top of the rock to serve
Whether you celebrate National Mint Julep Day in town or in the comfort of your own home, the trick to a perfect Mint Julep starts with a great local bourbon. Hold on to tradition and serve it in a silver cup while you sit outside on the patio just in time for Memorial Day weekend.